The Gary Simas Agricultural Scholarship
Gary Simas was a longtime friend, associate, and business partner of Jim Clare. Tragically, Simas passed away in 2006. Recognized as an esteemed system designer and innovator, Simas is still widely respected for his work. To honor Simas’ role as an outstanding leader in the irrigation industry, friends and family established this memorial scholarship in his name. Each year, three local high school students majoring in an agricultural field who reflect Simas’ qualities as a leader and colleague are awarded The Gary Simas Agricultural Scholarship. In the nine years since the inception of the scholarship, $24,000 has been awarded to students.
- 2019: Chantz Granlees, Caden Hanson, Caitlin Newport
- 2018: Mikayla Hagemann, Hannah Murphy, Caleb Van Vliet
- 2017: Kayla Keating, Jessica Sousa, Kenneth Watkins IV
- 2016: Sarah Seybold, Daniel Moules, Jenna Solari
- 2015: Alejandro Orozco Lopez, Cole Lauchland, Cassady Hill.
- 2014: Jennifer Torres, Vincent Fuso, Rebecca Metz
- 2013: Jana Colombini, Jacob Koster, Adrianna Koster, Brad Borges
- 2012: Hannah Beeler, Megan Cowan, Brandon McNealy
- 2011: James Head, Colleen Sunbury, Ellen Brumley
- 2010: Dominic Assali, Jason Colombini, Suzanne Azpetia, Brooke Phillips, Amanda McLeod
- 2009: Kattie Schmidig, Ellen Brumley, Amanda McLeod
- 2008: Thomas Adrian, Desirae Bishop, Michael Fuso
- 2007: Kevin Azpetia, Claire Brumley, Daniel Everitt, Andrew Loogman.
There is a balance of $10,436.00 that can still be awarded to recipients.
*This is the link to the 2019 application. It will open up again for 2020 applicants on November 1, 2019, and remain open until February 28, 2020. A link to the 2020 application will be posted when it becomes available. Congratulations to this year’s winners!